Monday, April 11, 2011

Taming the Tongue

Quote of the day: 
"Life is like a coin. You can spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once.
Lillian Dickson"



Life is full of surprises.  You never know when something might come your way that will cause you to trip and fall.  You may even struggle a bit to retain your composer.  Praying and hoping no one saw as you brush the embarrassment off your face.  Of course some surprises can be a bit more embarrassing than others.


It is the game of life.  Another person can easily try to throw another off balance with harsh words, which can be like a slap in the face.  Thus causing much embarrassment for the one who got slapped.  I was that person.  The recipient of the lowly slap.  Not a slap of justice, but a slap of vindictiveness.


Being a minister's wife, I tried to tame my tongue so that I did not say something that would hurt my influence or my husbands.  It was very hard.  I could have said a lot of things, but what good would it have done?  Seriously?  So I took my slap with pride!  I fell back in astonishment and had some trouble regaining my composer.  The slap was done publicly through an online communication site.  I knew I had to watch my response as I typed, because everyone was watching.  Watching to see if I would make a mistake.  Watching to see if I would totally lose control. It was hard, not to lose it, but with the Lord's help I remained chaste.  No I am NOT perfect.  I do make mistakes, just like the next person.  I, however, try my best to be  like Christ in all things.  At times I have failed and have to go back to apologize.  I have to constantly remind myself to keep my BIG mouth shut.  Before I was saved, I spoke before thinking. Slicing the person to bits without a thought.  I don't want to be that person ever again!!


Some verses and/or quotes on taming the tongue:





Ephesians 4:29 ESV 

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.





Proverbs 15:1 ESV 

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.









James 1:26 ESV

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.








"One reason a dog is such a lovable creature is his tail wags instead of his tongue"




1 comment:

Teresa said...

Your blog looks great. i need to start updating mine. Take care.